Advocating in Chicago
- Advocating for the Arts in CPS – a Presentation for Arts Partners to use with their Stakeholders
- Advocating for the Arts in CPS – Presentation Notes
- Advocating for the Arts in CPS – Appendix to Presentation
- Finding Your Elected Officials – Worksheet
- Learn about the Every Student Succeeds Act in Chicago via Ingenuity’s Americans for the Arts webinar slide presentation.
Organizing Across Illinois
- Read our Q&A on the Illinois State Plan for the Every Student Succeeds Act
- Visit Arts Alliance Illinois’ advocacy pages to learn about statewide arts advocacy initiatives, campaigns and resources, and check out the latest arts advocacy news.
- Review AFTA’s presentation to better understand the role organizations can play in supporting ESSA implementation in Illinois.
Joining the National Movement
- Visit Americans for the Arts’ Action Center to join the national movement for arts education. In addition, review their Advocacy Tool Kit for Organizations and tool kit library for organizing assistance.
- Join Ovation Television’s Stand for the Arts coalition, an arts advocacy community for the creative organizations and leaders.
Stay on top of local and national arts education advocacy information by following Ingenuity’s Arts Ed Advocacy twitter list.
advocacy Wins to date
Since our founding in 2011, Ingenuity has helped advance the following arts policies:
- Chicago Public Schools has elevated to a core subject
- The District has recommended 120 minutes of dedicated weekly arts instruction in elementary schools
- High school graduation arts requirements expanded to include theater and dance
- The arts appear on the public-facing CPS scorecard for each school along with other academic indicators
- Arts education is included in the new school principal evaluation
These monumental policy changes are a step in the right direction, but they only mark the beginning of our work.