Over the years, a wealth of information, tools, and data supporting the arts in education have been published. Below are some of the most recent and compelling reports and studies.
National Endowment for the Arts
Released in March 2012, The Arts and Achievement in At-Risk Youth: Findings from Four Longitudinal Studies shows how arts education can lead students to better academic outcomes, higher career goals, and a more civically engaged behavior. The study reports these and other positive outcomes associated with high levels of arts exposure for youth of low socioeconomic status.
U.S. Department of Education: Arts Education Survey
In April 2012, the U.S. Department of Education released its first congressionally mandated survey of arts education in our nation’s K-12 schools in more than a decade. The data was collected via several Fast Response Survey System (FRSS) surveys during the 2009-10 school year. This report provides national data about arts education for public elementary and secondary schools, elementary classroom teachers, and elementary and secondary music and visual arts specialists.
Arts Alliance Illinois: Arts & Economic Prosperity IV
Arts & Economic Prosperity IV is the most comprehensive study of its kind conducted in the United States, and features a national report along with customized findings for 182 unique study regions, including Chicago. The study conducted by Arts Alliance Illinois and Americans for the Arts focused on the economic impact created by nonprofit arts and culture organizations. Data collection for the Chicago study was conducted in 2011 by Arts Alliance Illinois and compiled by Americans for the Arts, the nation’s leading nonprofit organization for advancing the arts and arts education. In the city of Chicago, data from 486 eligible nonprofit arts and culture organizations and over 1,000 surveys of Chicago nonprofit arts and culture audiences were included. To access the summary of the report, click here, and for the full report, click here.
Additional Websites and Resources
- Americans for the Arts: Arts Education Webinars On-Demand
- Arts For All
- Champions of Change – The Impact of the Arts on Learning
- Chicago Guide for Teaching and Learning in the Arts
- City of Chicago Cultural Plan 2012
- CPS Arts Education Plan
- CPS Department of Arts Education
- Critical Links: Learning in the Arts and Student Academic and Social Development
- Learning Through the Arts
- Revitalizing Arts Education Through Community-Wide Coordination
- The Arts and Education Reform: Lessons from a 4-year Pilot of the A+ Schools Program
- The Core Arts Standards
- The Educational Value of Field Trips
- The High Cost of High School Dropouts: What the Nation Pays for Inadequate High Schools
- The Impact of Arts Education on Workforce Preparation
- The Skills Connection Between the Arts and 21st-Century Learning
- The State We’re In – a report card on Public Education in Illinois
- Time and Money: Using Federal Data to Measure the Value of Performing Arts Activities
- What Student Leaders can do to Increase Arts Education
- Why Arts Education is Crucial, and Who’s Doing it Best
- Why is Arts Learning So Unique in Its Impact